A guide on how to fix black screen (solutions) in Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Patch 3).
How to Fix Black Screen (Solutions)
The team at Moon has been very hard at work and we are excited to release our latest patch for Ori and the Will of the Wisps, full of new features, improvements and fixes for you all!
- New High Quality Graphics mode for Sharp, Supersampled image rendering with highest visual effect settings.
- New Low Quality Graphics mode with optimized visual effect settings to allow better performance on lower spec machines.
- PC Graphics Quality Setting Selection (Low, Balanced, High): Allows choosing between higher framerate and higher quality graphics modes.
- Sharpness Settings added in Graphics Settings for additional control of the image sharpness.
- New High Quality Audio Mode: High Fidelity Audio with increased Dynamic Range and Convolution Reverb for ambiences
- New Low Quality Audio Mode: Lower quality Audio mode for increased performance on lower end machines.
- Audio Quality Settings Selection: Allow to choose between higher quality audio and more optimized audio performance modes.
- Quick Access is now available from In-Game Pause menu
- Backup Saves are now available from In-Game Pause menu
- General Performance and Image Quality Improvements
- Stability fixes introduced to further remove OOM and Graphics related crashes
- Fixed several instances of Ori falling out of the world due to scene loading race conditions
- Additional polish and improvements throughout the game experience
- Various smaller bug-fixes
You can hit “clear cache” button in RTSS (MSI Afterburner) setup settings and the game will run fine but I can’t get it to work once again without clearing the cache again and again.
The game is not working without RTSS too, so it’s not the one to blame.
This one works for me too:
- Close RTSS completely
- Empty your cache folder manually
- “C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache”
I’ve been trying several things – FYI I’m on Win 7 – 64 bit.
Here’s a solution from my side, which repeatedly worked over the evening:
- Launch the game and get stuck at the black screen
- Tab out and open the task manager
- Open the properties of the game’s task (oriwotw.exe)
- Kill the running process (the window with properties of oriwotw.exe should still be open)
- In this very properties window go to the tab called “previous versions”
- There should be one former instance of oriwotw.exe
- Launch this version and the game opens and loads properly to the main menu
I hope it works for everyone or at least some people besides me.
While we are still cooking the real fix, you can use this –
Launch the game with the “—gcFinalizerPrewarm=false” parameter.
One way to do it is to right click on the game in your steam library, go to properties -> set launch options -> and paste that in
Another way to do this is to add a shortcut to the game’s exe, right-click on it, properties and then paste that parameter after .exe with space. “oriwotw.exe —gcFinalizerPrewarm=false”
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Patch 3) – How to Get Rid of Lag
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – How to Fix Loading
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – How to Fix Sound Problems
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – How to Fix Waking Up Baur (Bug)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – How to Fix Burrow Dash (Bug)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – How to Fix Controller (Xbox, PS4)?
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Complete Achievement Guide (How to Obtain)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – How to Find Flash
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Luma Pools Walkthrough (How to Complete)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Good and Bad Ending Walkthrough
- Ori and The Will of the Wisps – How to Farm Spirit Light
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Willow’s End Walkthrough (How to Complete)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Howl Fang Quest (How to Find)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Complete Boss Fight (How to Defeat)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Hand to Hand Sidequest Walkthrough (How to Complete)