A guide on how to boost and improve FPS with the best settings in Hogwarts Legacy.
How to Boost FPS (Best Settings)
I want to start by thanking the other guides that recommend updating DLSS manually.
That added to the boost I’ve been trying to work on.
You can grab the latest DLSS here.
Copy & Replace that DLL to:
- \YOUR PATH TO GAME\Hogwarts Legacy\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Nvidia\DLSS\Binaries\ThirdParty\Win64
Now onto the Nvidia driver stuff
- Right-click your desktop and open Nvidia Control Panel.
- Go to Manage 3D Settings.
- Click on the “Program Settings Tab”.
- Low Latency Mode > Ultra.
- Power Management Mode > Prefer Maximum Performance.
- Triple Buffering > On.
- Vsync > Fast.
This game doesn’t have multiplayer and the AI appears to be tied to the render times, so Triple Buffering will still sync the AI to your latency.
The game is built on an unreal engine, so any in addition from other unreal engines 4 games will typically work with this game (and others).
In your GameUserSettings.ini (C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor) you’re going to add a few lines.
Open the ini and scroll to the bottom, and add:
Then look for the [SystemSettings] section just above where you added this new line.
Under [SystemSettings] add:
r.MaxAnisotropy=set this to whatever you want; (x2, x4, x8, x16) max is 16
By default UE4 games have TextureStreaming enabled which causes hitching and stutters when you enter a new area, or re-enter old ones that force a reload (IE, re-entering Hogwarts after spending 10 minutes on a mission in Hogsmeade.) Assuming you have 16GBs of ram and at least 6 to 8 GB of VRAM on your GPU, this will help you keep a consistent FPS.
For AsyncCompute, i recommend only using this if you have at least a 30 series Nvidia or at least a 6000 series AMD (or newer).
Afterwards, save the ini, and set it to Read Only (right click>properties).
And for the most crucial setting
Turn off raytracing for the time being, unless you have a 4000 series RTX Card, and can use Frame Generation.
With these settings, I’m able to run the game at 75 to 80 FPS on ultra with a 3060ti, with 1% lows barely dropping to 60.
Other possible fixes:
Excluding the game in Exploit protection
- Find “Exploit protection” in the search bar(can be found manually in Windows Security app by selecting the shield icon in the task bar or searching the start menu for “Windows Security” then Select the “App & browser” control tile (or the app icon on the left menu bar) and then select “Exploit protection”.
- Click the “Program settings” tab.
- Click the “Add program to customize”.
- Click the “Choose exact file path”.
- Please navigate to the HogwartsLegacy.exe and select it (likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy).
- Scroll down to the “Control flow guard (CFG)”.
- Check the “Override system settings” and toggle the “On” to “Off”.
- Click “Apply”.
- Restart PC.
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Fix Errors (Bugs)
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Get Best Performance (Nvidia DLSS)
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Enable Fullscreen Mode (Realistic)
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Get and Download Realistic Shaders
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Fix “Start Game”
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Unlock Hippogriff
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Fast Travel
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Make Merlin Trials
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Fix “Lost Save”
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Change Appearance
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Ride Mount (Hippogriff) and Broom
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Fix Microsoft Visual
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Open the Secret Door
- Hogwarts Legacy – How to Get Secret Unlockables
- Hogwarts Legacy – All Three Unforgivable Curses Guide to Get