A guide on how to get better quality (tweaks) in Dying Light 2.
How to Get Better Quality (Tweaks)
- 2k and 4K Shadow Maps Unlocked.
- Voxel Global Illumination “Ultra” Unlocked.
Video Settings Configuration
- %USERPROFILE%\Documents\dying light 2\out\settings\video.scr
Open video.scr by opening it with Notepad either by going to Right-Click -> Open with… Notepad or Drag and Drop the file into an open Notepad window.
- Default value: 924 [ShadowMapSize(924)]
- Recommended value: 1024*, 1536*, 2048*, 4096*
- *1024 – super low-end
- ** 1536 – low-end
- *** 2048 – mid-end/high-end
- **** 4096 – ultra high-end
Shadow Mapping is used in Dying Light and Dying Light 2 Stay Human. The resolution of the shadow map is usually written in values such as 512, 1024, 2048, and 4096. The default value for ShadowMapSize in Dying Light 2 Stay Human is 924 compared to 2048/4096 in the previous game. This seems to have been an oversight when developing the game for console and likely a remnant of developing for consoles alongside PC.
Increasing the shadow map size will render better shadows with less pixelation, but performance will be affected negatively. If the game isn’t running optimally, then this setting isn’t for you. Increasing the value past 924 will increase the quality of shadows by rendering a much larger shadow map.
There is another setting for SpotShadowMapSize which is for the flashlight casting shadow and its default value is set to 4096 for crisp and detailed shadow maps. As of right now, it is unclear if this setting has any direct effect as the flashlight does not cast shadows. This will likely be patched in the future. Stay tuned.
Voxel Global Illumination
- Default value: User preference [VoxelGiQuality(3)]
Dying Light 2 uses voxels for calculating global illumination in the game world. In-game, the setting is locked to a maximum value of 3 or High but can be unlocked to 4 or Ultra.
Enable Ultra Voxel GI by setting it to VoxelGiQuality(4)
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – How to Edit FOV
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – How to Disable Anti-Aliasing
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – How to Customize Proper HUD
- Dying Light 2 – How to Edit Key Bindings
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – How to Skip Intro
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – All Docket Codes (New Updates)
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – How to Separate Language (Text, Audio)
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – 3 Tips to Make Private Server
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – The First Biomarker Sidequest (Code)
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – All Safe Codes and Locations Guide on Map
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human – 100% Achievement Guide
- Dying Light 2 – How to Fix Network (Disconnected)