A guide on how to fix not being able to load save (cracked save file) in Cult of the Lamb.
How to Fix Save File (Cracked)
An existing bug in Cult of the Lamb can block the player from selecting a save file, effectively locking them out of the game. The absolutely wonderful folks over on the Discord server have found a fix for this! I didn’t discover this, the user Sciguystfm posted this fix in the server, and I decided to put it here in case more people are looking for it.
Not Being Able to Load Saves Fix
You’ll know you’re effected by this if you see a red hat to the left of all three save slots, and you’re not able to load your save or delete existing ones.
First and foremost, this fix only works if your save file itself isn’t corrupted.
The save file itself can be found at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Massive Monster\Cult Of The Lamb\saves typically it’ll be called slot_0
Easiest way to test whether or not your save is corrupted is to upload your save file to this site. https://pentalex.github.io/COTL-SaveDecryptor/ If it tries to download a file back, it means you’re lucky and your save is probably fine.
If that’s the case, the next step is to disable steam cloud saves.
You can do that by right clicking the game in your steam library, selecting properties, and unticking the check mark labeled “Keep game saves in the Steam Cloud for Cult of the Lamb.
After that, navigate back to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Massive Monster\Cult Of The Lamb\ and copy that entire folder somewhere else for savekeeping as backup.
From there, all you need to do is delete the meta_0 file in the C:\Users\stefa\AppData\LocalLow\Massive Monster\Cult Of The Lamb\saves folder and you should be good to go!
If that works, you’ll want to turn steam cloud saves back on. To do that:
- Launch the game, hop on your cult, save and quit.
- Go back to that right click menu, then Preferences, and then re-check that box you unchecked previously
- When you relaunch the game, steam should yell at you about conflicting saves, simply choose the “Local Save” and you should be good to go!
If Your Save Is Corrupted
You might be able to pull an older save from steam’s cloud save history, but i don’t have personal experience with that https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorage
As with anything save-related, it’s always a good idea to make a copy of your save files in case anything goes wrong (you can do this just by copy/pasting them into another folder).
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Fix Black Screen Bug
- Cult of the Lamb – Save file Location
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Get Unlimited Coins
- Cult of the Lamb – Unlimited Gold Bars, Stone Bricks, Camelia
- Cult of the Lamb – Unlimited Devotion, Stone, Lumber
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Cheat
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Fix Tier 3 Bug
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Catch All Fish (Easy Ways)
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Play KnuckleBones
- Cult of the Lamb – Best Tips to Level Up Follower Loyalty
- Cult of the Lamb – All Cult Doctrines List
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Declare War (Altar)
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Fight Leshy After Beating
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Move and Remove (Edit Buildings)
- Cult of the Lamb – How to Unlock Follower Skins (Darkwood, Anura, Secret, and more)